CALL FOR ENTRIES — 2018 BAC ARTISTS’ ANNUAL EXHIBITION


Free to all current Berkeley Art Center members

Online Submission Form Deadline: Tuesday, December 4 by 5pm
Drop-Off Dates: Friday, December 7–Saturday, December 8, 11am–5pm
Exhibition Dates: HERE, Part 1: December 15, 2018–January 11, 2019
Opening Reception: Saturday, December 15, 6pm–8pm


HERE is an annual celebration of BAC’s artist-members, who form the foundation of a deep and rich art community in Berkeley and throughout the East Bay. Working in all media at all levels of experience, their diverse talents are showcased in this salon-style exhibition through the presentation of small works. The show is presented in two parts: a non-juried component, followed by a juried group exhibition. Each year, a prominent juror reviews the works in HERE: Part 1 to invite a selection of artists to participate in HERE: Part 2, with works coalescing around a theme that speaks to the current cultural moment.

This year’s juror is Los Angeles–based gallerist Walter Maciel, whose career has spanned Northern and Southern California for more than two decades. He began his career in 1992 after graduating from the University of California, Berkeley, with a double major in Art History and Studio Art. Maciel was director of two prominent galleries in San Francisco before opening Walter Maciel Gallery in Culver City in 2006, a 4,000-square-foot exhibition space that promotes the careers of emerging, mid-career and established artists who participate in national and international exhibitions and art fairs.

HERE, PART 1: SPECIFICATIONS & LIMITATIONS

Eligibility:

  • All participating artists must be current BAC members ($50/year or above), and membership must remain current through the end of January 2019. Learn more about becoming a member.

  • One work per artist may be submitted for inclusion in Part 1. All qualifying submissions (meeting specifications and limitations) will be presented in an appropriately aesthetic and democratic salon-style configuration.

 Submission Guidelines:

  • Artwork of all media is welcome.

  • In order to accommodate and appropriately present all submitted work, the show will be an exhibition of “small works” with a size limit of 24 inches in any direction, including frames.

  • Free-standing sculpture may be up to 4 feet high and no more than 24 inches in any other direction. BAC will provide pedestals.

  • No artwork will be accepted without a fully completed submission form and jpg. Please complete the SUBMISSION FORM to register online by Tuesday, December 4 at 5pm.

  • Works must be ready to hang, dry and framed where appropriate.

  • Artist must provide all necessary equipment with regard to sound and video works.

  • Work must have artist’s name clearly written on back unless the nature of the work makes it impossible to do so.

  • Work will only be accepted “in person” (no digital submissions) during the stated drop-off dates and times. NO EXCEPTIONS. If you are mailing your artwork, it must arrive by this time and have return packaging and postage included.

  • Submitting the online form indicates that the artist has read and is aware of the pick-up dates and times. Artists MUST pick up work by these dates. Due to the high volume of participants, we are unable to contact individual artists about picking up work. Unclaimed work may be discarded after 90 days.

  • Artists are encouraged to provide a resume and artist statement for the exhibition binder. Artists should bring clean printed copies to drop off with artwork.

  • Berkeley Art Center requests a 30% contribution of all sales to benefit the organization, with the remaining 70% going to the artist.


Timeline, Part 1:        

Submission:                 Online form due by 5pm on Tuesday, December 4
Drop-Off Dates:            Friday, December 7–Saturday, December 8, 11am and 5pm
Exhibition Dates:          December 15, 2018–January 11, 2019
Opening Reception:     Saturday, December 15, 6pm–8pm
Pick-Up Dates:             Saturday, January 12–Sunday, January 13, 11am–5pm

Timeline, Part 2:

Exhibition Dates:          January 26–February 15, 2019
Opening Reception:     Saturday, February 2, 6pm–8pm
Drop-Off Dates:            Saturday, January 19–Sunday, January 20, 11am–5pm