How to Submit Work to Berkeley Art Center
Berkeley Art Center (BAC) serves the diverse and creative citizens of this unique regional area, through the presentation of visual art exhibitions and related programs that are relevant, engaging, and inspiring. We support emerging and mid-career artists by curating thematic and group exhibitions.
BAC will consider submissions from individual artists or artist groups for general consideration or for specific projects that take the form of gallery–based exhibitions, public programs, and events. Projects may exist as a one-time occurrence or may be ongoing.
All submissions are reviewed three-times a year by BAC Programming Committee, made up of board members and BAC staff, including the Executive Director.
There is no specific deadline for submissions. We are currently accepting proposals for 2016 or later.
We receive a high volume of proposals annually. It is a very competitive process and it may take us up to three months to respond to your submission. If your proposal is not initially accepted however, we encourage you to submit new work for reconsideration. There is no limit to the number of submissions an artist can propose. PLEASE NO EMAILS OR PHONE CALLS ABOUT THE STATE OF YOUR SUBMISSION.
What happens if I am selected?
You will be notified via email if your project has been selected or if we have decided to keep your work on file for future consideration. Either way, you will begin to participate in an open-ended dialog about your work and how BAC can best support the development of your practice. This is a distinct process for each artist so it is something we can work on together.
Where do I send my submission?
You may send submission either via email or regular mail. Please email materials to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Artist Proposal” in the subject line. (If your email is above 10 MB please use dropbox.com.) Send mail to the below address and include a self addressed stamped envelope if you would like your materials returned. Please note that BAC will not be able to return materials without return postage.
Berkeley Art Center
Attn: Programming Committee
1275 Walnut Street
Berkeley, CA 94709
Exhibition or Project Proposal:
In 1 page or less, describe the project that you would like to develop.
• Describe your idea for the project you are proposing (gallery installation, public project, performance, event, series of events, etc.). Please also address the duration of the project.
• Include images (2-10) of current work by participants.
• Explain why BAC is the most appropriate presenting organization for this particular project.
If you are not proposing a specific project, but would like to share your latest work with the Programming Committee for consideration in future exhibitions, please send us an artist packet.
Please include the items below.
• Statement of Intent: Please briefly describe your work and why are you submitting it to BAC.
Up to 15 digital images formatted as .JPG files and not exceeding 800x600 pixels @ 72ppi). Each image should be labeled with your name and a number that corresponds to an annotated image list
AND/OR One DVD with up to three videos (or excerpts of works) or a link to the videos.
• Annotated Image List: A numbered list corresponding to your images or videos including the title, year, medium, dimensions, materials, and a 1-2 sentence description, if necessary.
• Artist Resume and a 500-800 Word Artist’s Statement
• Additional Support Materials (optional) Examples: Support materials may include press clippings, any writing about your work, previous exhibition announcements, and links to your websites or related sites that feature your work.